What is the Right to Manage?
If you own a leasehold flat, The Commonhold & Leasehold Reform Act 2002 permits you the right to run your own management via Right to Manage (RTM). You will often see the companies set up to do this called Residents Management Companies or RMC’s.
You do not need the landlord’s consent to set up your own RMC, and you do not need to prove that the current Managing Agent for the landlord is doing anything wrong, or undertaking works in a manner you do not feel is appropriate, you may just, as a group of owners, wish to take control of your own property. Poor performance of a managing agent is often the reason that leaseholders seek to change the set up of their management company, however. We can help in either circumstance.
What are the qualification requirements to set up a Right to Manage company?
- The building must be self contained (or if part of another building, be capable of being redeveloped independently) and must include at least two flats
- At least two thirds of the flats must be leasehold with leases of over 21 years when first granted
- At least 75% of the building must be residential.
- You must live somewhere else if there are less than 4 flats in the block unless the property was purpose built as flats rather than be a converted block of flats
- Any number of owners can set up the Right to Manage Company, but at least half of the owners of the flats must be members of the company before it can take over the management
- The local authority is not the landlord of any qualifying property.
Many management companies don’t have personal service, with people you can speak to and they are often hard to get hold of, utilising answering services and computer generated reporting systems for repairs and problems. At Michael Parkes we pride ourselves in being answerable to you, the client, and you will often see us out on site, looking for issues before they become a problem, and our staff are easily contactable both in person, on the phone and by email.
If you aren’t happy with the service you have been promised, give us a call and we’d be happy to meet with you. We have experience in High End property, development sites and existing blocks of multiple dwellings.
Telephone: 0207 127 0629